[lbo-talk] nuts watching nuts (smashing windows)

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:19:34 PDT 2005

I wrote: > what does it matter what organization he belongs to. Just because some organization (say, the US Democratic Party) says bad things or does bad deeds doesn't mean that we should expose its members or kick them off the list. Last thing we need is McCarthyism.<

Michael Pugliese answers:
> That is one of the stupid hang ups of the Old Left. Obvious Communists look silly denying they are Communists. <

Neither Lacny nor I were saying _anything_ about his membership or non-membership in any organization. Rather, my point is that such an issue is _irrelevant_. (I can't speak for Lacny.)

The fact is, no matter what organization someone is in, it says nothing _per se_ about whether her or his points are accurate or not. Even George Bush, a mass murderer, can be right once and awhile. Similarly, if someone says something stupid, that doesn't automatically mean that his or her organization is wrong.

If someone wants to put forth an opinion as representing not only them but also the organization they belong to, that's fine. But no-one was doing that, except Chuck0.

>... CB called me J. Edgar Hoover once too.<

I NEVER called you J. Edgar Hoover. Either you _can't read_ or you _don't care_ what others' opinions really are. Instead, you seem to attribute opinions to people as if you could read their minds. That's nonsense, sectarian nonsense.

Instead, I was criticizing a specific _behavior_. It's a little like the Catholic thing, "hate the sin, love the sinner": I try to criticize behavior rather than individuals. Among other things, that helps avoid flame-wars.

Michael, your current behavior fits with the criticism of _you_ that I have made before: you're a stone-cold sectarian. -- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.