[lbo-talk] Sexual orientation and anthropology

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jul 15 15:21:28 PDT 2005

Justin wrote:

"At the risk of being execrated as a reactionary,
> I'd say this is about what
> one would except sociobiologically, assuming what I
> think is well-supported,
> that sexual preference has a very large genetic
> compenent, that
> heterosexuality is adaptive, but that there is some
> group selection for
> homosexuality for some reason or other"
>
> Why think that homosexuality is any different from
> Huntington's disease or
> myopia?
>
> -- Luke

^^^^^^^

CB: As my brother pointed out to me a few years ago, the standard recessive gene process might explain a genetic basis for homosexuality.

Also, historically there may have been circumstances when population limitation was adaptive ( the Darwinian model turns into its opposite sort of), and homosexuality would be adaptive as a natural contraceptive, maybe ?