[lbo-talk] Sexual orientation and sociobioligy

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Jul 15 15:44:05 PDT 2005

Justin wrote:

> Well, it's [homosexuality's] not a disease or defect [Huntington's disease
or
> myopia], for one thing . .

Homosexuality may well be maladaptive in an evolutionary sense and yet persist for any number reasons (e.g. could be a byproduct of other adaptive traits etc.). That's the respect in which I suggested the conditions might be analogous. I'm surprised you couldn't tell what I meant.

Doug wrote:

"I'm guessing that's an ironic question, but you can never tell."

No, it wasn't, but I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted it. I'd never claim that homosexuals are in any way way inferior to heterosexuals, or that they should seek to "cure" their homosexuality. However, what's good for onself (and others) needn't necessarily be good for one's genes.

-- Luke