[lbo-talk] More on Wikipedia: Now the US army is whitewashing myarticles

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 12:54:12 PDT 2005

On Saturday, July 16, 2005 7:49 AM [PDT], Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yo, Lance, looking through books on Cambodia yesterday at the
> Denver PL, legendary Australian Communist journalist, Wilfred
> Burchett, in a book from the 80's co-published by Vanguard Books (a
> M-L press) and Zed, the rad left third worldist UK publishers, has
> chapter headings and repeated usages of Khmer Rouge w/o scare quotes.
> And I betcha if you trawl though microfilm of the (NY) Guardian,
> you will find many contemporary usages by the radical left of the
> phrase Khmer Rouge.
> You still think that the genocide of the KR was exaggerated?!
> Facing death in Cambodia / Peter Maguire.
> Author Maguire, Peter (Peter H.)
> Publisher New York : Columbia University Press, c2005.
> The China-Cambodia-Vietnam triangle / Wilfred Burchett. --
> Author Burchett, Wilfred G., 1911-
> Publisher Chicago, Ill. : London : Vanguard Books ; Zed Press,
> c1981. Description 235 p. ; 21 cm.
> Title Kampuchea : decade of the genocide : report of a Finnish
> inquiry commission / edited by Kimmo Kiljunen. --
> Publisher London : Totowa, N.J. : Zed ; U.S. distributor, Biblio
> Distribution Center, 1984.
> Cambodia, 1975-1978 : rendezvous with death / [compiled by] Karl D.
> Jackson. Publisher Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press,
> c1989

> The Khmer Rouge regime took control of Cambodia by force of arms, then
> committed the most brazen crimes since the Third Reich: at least 1.5
> million people murdered between 1975 and 1979. Yet no individuals were
> ever tried or punished. This book is the story of Peter Maguire's
> effort to learn how Cambodia's "culture of impunity" developed,

Yo Mike...

There are other cultures of impunity that should concern us: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sa=N&sourceid=gd&tab=xw&q=%22culture%20of%20impunity%22

Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 44,000 for "culture of impunity". (0.04 seconds)

Specifically... but not exclusively: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4901559

Leigh http://www.leighm.net

"MY COUNTRY is the GREATEST PURVEYOR OF VIOLENCE IN THE WORLD TODAY." --Martin Luther KIng Jr.

(We should all repeat that as a mantra... no matter WHAT country we call home, stop pointing fingers at OPP and maybe... just maybe, we'll survive as a species till the next millenium.)