[lbo-talk] More on Wikipedia: Now the US army is whitewashing my articles

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 17:11:49 PDT 2005

On 7/16/05, Lance Murdoch <lancemurdoch at gmail.com> wrote:

> The genocide in Cambodia was when the US air force dropped half a
> million tons worth of bombs on the Cambodian countryside.

Recently in a source sympathetic to Vickery, your main source from a Cambodianist, I saw the estimate of 375,000 tons of bombs dropped by Nixon's USAF on Cambodia.

THE Genocide? There were two, one big, the former you refer to, and the much larger, up to 1.5 million killed by the KR.

Googling, http://www.google.com/search?q=numbers+killed+by+nixon+bombing+cambodia

I found an interesting thread, http://www.cyberussr.com/hcunn/e-asia/ch-khm1-c.html

w/ this ghoulish subject line, "The Murder Sweepstakes." Which contains the figure Vickery arrived at, KR executions, 200,000-300,000 Total (excess deaths, presumably) 750,000. James Devine, in his reading of my post w/ the cites on the KR/"Democratic Kampuchea", thought I was slamming the third worldist UK press on the rad left, Zed, specifically the Finnish Inq. Commish, can't through his broken record perception of me, see that I was applauding the Zed book and the judgement of their editors. They came up with the estimate of Finish Inquiry 75,000-100,000, executions, 1,000,000 deaths committed by the KR.

Anyone with a good estimate of the numbers killed in Nixon's bombings, either from Shawcross or other source? Would it be anywhere near a tenth of the total killed by the US and French, 2.8 million killed Vietnamese? Anything comparable to what what the KR committed? Or will Lance, for the zillionth time relate the tired line that the KR (before the massive bombings, a sane national liberation movement like the NLF, HEH) was driven kwazy by the bombing?

What troubles me in Lance's pov, besides his inability to see ALL mass murders, as crimes, whether committed by the USG and allied regimes, or regimes and movements, that proclaim their opposition to the USG. (But, those deaths can always be excused w/ Mao's dinner party, and breaking eggs to make omeletes lines.)The left response to Jeanne Kirkpatrick's apologia, "Dictatorships and Double Standards, " article, for authoritarian regimes aligned w/ the USG, was that whether one is shot by a pro-American autocrat or a (formerly, as of post '89-'91) Soviet aligned totalitarian, one is still dead regardless. Only one, "Great Satan, " at a time, eh.

-- Michael Pugliese