[lbo-talk] specious generalizations...

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 17 13:55:15 PDT 2005

Chris said:

>OK, my position is that "the left," by which I mean
>self-identified leftists living mostly in Western
>countries, often has a tendency to see things through
>the lens of an anti-imperialist framework inherited I
>suppose from Lenin and then modified through the
>20th-century.

Etc.

Ok, let's assume you're right about what you've attributed to western lefties; so what _is_ the "correct" way of seeing matters? You mentioned this:

>I personally try to make no strong assertions about
>things that happen in most parts of the world, because
>I wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about in
>most instances.

Is that the way it should be done?

Just as an aside, does your crit ie one side's always right (the weaker side) and one side's always wrong (the stronger side) also apply to capitalism in general?

Todd