[lbo-talk] KPFA Agonisties

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 11:54:37 PDT 2005

Well, what is the solution? Do we leave Pacifica in the hands of the 'experts' - in other words have Board of Directors elect the Executive Director who in turn appoints the Board of Directors? That was how Pacifica got into the crisis of the 1990s in the first place.

Logically, it only makes sense that an institution with the pretensions that Pacifica has function differently than your typical corporation or NGO. If the traditions of progressive/radical politics of the last 200 years mean anything, they mean there should be some level of democracy. While there are all kinds of difficulties with putting it into practice, is not a democratic process preferable to giving programmers life time tenure to their time slots or to simply deeding the stations over to professional managers? {although the latter would certainly be preferable to management by assault]

No doubt the system of governence needs to be fixed - while I can't comment on WBAI, the difficulties at KPFA seem to reflect not so much a problem of too much democracy or democracy run amok, but a problem of too much entrenchment and an unwillingness on the part of those entrenched to adjust to changes. Managers, of course, come and go, but perish the thought of altering the time slot of the morning show. SR

.