[lbo-talk] Finding the elephant in the room

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Jul 19 19:37:08 PDT 2005

Ravi wrote:

> well, it keeps getting worse. is that because of the US presence? or
> because of the lack of right action? doesn't the US have some history of
> reconstructing nations/regions?

Well, to compete with the USSR and China, the US Empire was forced to allow certain semi-peripheries to thrive -- Central Europe, Japan, later South Korea and Taiwan. But I'd argue the price was paid by regions which were completely under the yoke of Empire -- Argentina, Chile, Iran and Brazil all had potentially thriving economies, trashed by US economic and military interventions. The Empire which gives, also takes away.

Now that the Empire is coming unglued, I, personally, am going to take the greatest delight in kicking the cursed thing on its way down to the lowest pit of hell.

-- DRR