[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 08:04:21 PDT 2005

Tommy Kelley:

Just like my political ideology, my spirituality is simply independent. If I had to put some type of label on it, I would say I am a mixture of Martin Gardner-style Deist and Nick Cave-style Gnostic Christian.

==============

Your Nick Cave reference might intrigue those who're familiar with Cave's career, but who haven't been following so closely as to be aware of his recently developed (or at least, fairly recently publicly discussed) philosophical/religious beliefs.

This may help the curious (though I hope Tommy, you're moved to answer William and Kelley's questions and flesh out your own beliefs and what led you to them):

<http://blog.catholicireland.net/ciblog/archives/000068.html>

an excerpt:

An Introduction to the Gospel of St Mark

Nick Cave

When I bought my first copy of the Bible, the King James version, it was to the Old Testament that I was drawn, with its maniacal, punitive God who dealt out to His long-suffering humanity punishments that had me drop-jawed in disbelief at the very depth of their vengefulness.

I had a burgeoning interest in violent literature, coupled with an unnamed sense of the divinity in things and, in my early twenties, the Old Testament spoke to that part of me that railed and hissed and spat at the world. I believed in God, but I also believed that God was malign and if the Old Testament was testament to anything, it was testament to that. Evil seemed to live close to the surface of existence within it, you could smell its mad breath, see the yellow smoke curl from its many pages, hear the blood-curdling moans of despair. It was a wonderful, terrible book, and it was sacred scripture.

But you grow up. You do. You mellow out. Buds of compassion push through the cracks in the black and bitter soil. Your rage ceases to need a name. You no longer find comfort watching a whacked-out God tormenting a wretched humanity as you learn to forgive yourself and the world.

Then, one day, I met an Anglican vicar and he suggested that I give the Old Testament a rest and read Mark instead. I hadn't read the New Testament at that stage because the New Testament was about Jesus Christ and the Christ I remembered from my choirboy days was that wet, all-loving, etiolated individual that the church proselytised. I spent my pre-teen years singing in the Wangaratta Cathedral Choir and even at that age I recall thinking what a wishy-washy affair the whole thing was. The Anglican Church: it was the decaf of worship and Jesus was their Lord.

[...]

full at --

<http://blog.catholicireland.net/ciblog/archives/000068.html>

.d.