[lbo-talk] Finding the elephant in the room

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jul 20 08:09:02 PDT 2005

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>"The US rebuilt Japan and Germany" we're told, "and can surely rebuild Iraq."

> The problem with this is that it assumes the talent pool, >intentions and, even if directed towards imperialist aims, wisdom >of the Truman generation -- the architects of the post World War >Two order -- are matched by anything presently available in the >Bush administration.>>

Imperialism is developing China on a massive scale right now. So it's not a question talent pool available to the recent administrations in the US, Japan and EU. However, I agree that Iraq is not likely to be offered privileges that China gets.

IMO Imperialism is a contradictory phenomenon. It's perfectly capable of developing less developed world if suits economic and strategic interests of Imperialism. But this is unlikely to happen in Iraq's case.

Ulhas