[lbo-talk] Lieberman: "Roberts a decent guy"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 21 10:27:21 PDT 2005

"Steven L. Robinson" wrote:

> Well, on the Supreme Court level, appointments of Democrat Presidents have
> been decidedly mixed- Truman appointed the justices that upheld the
> prosecutions during the McCarthy era for instance,

I would make one correction to this; instead of "during the McCarthy era" write "during the Truman-McCarthy era" or, perhaps even more accurately, "during the Truman era." McCarthy actually came late to the Great Red Hunt, and his part in it was simply to reduce it to absurdity. The serious Red Hunt was almost entirely a creature of the Truman Administration.

Carrol

P.S. It is more or less hopeless to debate Nathan on this. All of his arguments essentially boil down to the princple, "We should vote Democratic because we should vote Democratic." Doug a few years ago asked him if there were any possible conditions under which he would not support the DP. If I remember correctly, Nathan responded with silence?