[lbo-talk] Olivier Roy on the bombers

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 22 13:16:10 PDT 2005

Doug quoted:
> New York Times - July 22, 2005
>
> Why Do They Hate Us? Not Because of Iraq
> By OLIVIER ROY
> The Western-based Islamic terrorists are not the militant vanguard of
> the Muslim community; they are a lost generation, unmoored from
> traditional societies and cultures, frustrated by a Western society
> that does not meet their expectations. And their vision of a global
> ummah is both a mirror of and a form of revenge against the
> globalization that has made them what they are.

That is what I have been arguing here for some time - these guys are mere street gangsters, but with better education (and thus worldly ambitions), and a better access to deep Saudi pocket willing to fund their activities, which in turn gives them a better access to more lethal means. But the motivating mechanism is pretty much the same - prove their machismo by blowing up people.

Wojtek