[lbo-talk] Why Not Sell WBAI?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sat Jul 23 09:09:47 PDT 2005

Autoplectic wrote:
>> On 7/22/05, Nathan Newman <nathanne at nathannewman.org> wrote:
>
>> How about giving the money to a whole range of youth and minority
>> collectives to produce radiocasts for the Internet? Helping the
>> communication efforts of community and grassroots groups?

>What he said.

-More amateurism in left radio - just what we need!

The only trouble with amateurism is when it gets a monopoly on a scarce hour of air time. When you have a thousands amateurs blooming, and systems for people rating the best, you'll end up with amazingt stuff coming to the front, far better than a lot of the "professional" stuff.

I'm not arguing that you don't want a chunk of money for the best identified folks, but encouraging a range of media voices seems exactly what Pacifica was designed originally for. And with Pacifica money, a lot of half-ass amateurs could be encouraged to professionalize in the best sense.

-- Nathan Newman