[lbo-talk] conspiracism: manna for community radio

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 10:29:37 PDT 2005

Carrol cox wrote that there are people on this list who make "'exposure' of conspiracy the heart of their politics." - in fact, the conspiracism shoe is on the other foot. As I see it, no one on this list is a 'conspiracist' - however there are people on this list who are derisively referred to as 'conspiracists'.

The epithet 'conpiracy theorist' is not even deployed with any consistency as to actual subject matter or methodology - it is however uniformly applied to any interpretation of poltical events that lies outside a certain set of parameters. A recent example: Doug Henwood characterzied any questioning of the anomalies surrounding the London bombing as 'conspiracy theory'.

In fact, any attempt to understand a political event such as a terrorist attack is by definition a conspiracy theory. Whoever, carried out the bombing was part of a conspiracy so any line of investigation is necessarily a conspiracy theory. Prosectutors are by definition conspiracy theorists, but you never hear them derided as such.

And contrary to your postion that it matters not whether subterfuges asuch as the Gulf of Tonkin or the Downing Street memos are exposed, the exposure of the Gulf of Tonkin had an immeasurable impact on the level of trust people have (or had) for the US government. Exposing government subterfuge is certainly not an end in itself, but it has an important cumulalative effect on the popular consciousness. Watergate was certain an 'expose' that had a tangible impact.

It is also true that there a culture of impunity has developed in the face of all these exposes, but this too is what the struggle is against (assuming that anyone around here is still engaged in any kind of struggle)

Indeed, without the handy 'conpiracist' device with which to bludgeon 'oddballs', Doug Henwood and others would actually have to engage with those who have different interepetations of the facts and perhaps come up with some 'conspiracy theories' of their own. Instead, they default to whatever the official position is, and from the relative 'safety' of that position heap derision unpon those trying to figure things out for themselves.

The term 'conspiracy theory', as it is used on this list, is a notion that exists chiefly in the minds of those who deploy the term. It has little or nothing to do with what the recipients of the epithet actually do, say or think.

Joe W.