[lbo-talk] China's growth

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 24 20:10:36 PDT 2005

Mike Ballard wrote:

>Chris Doss wrote:
>>
>>> What would you recommend if you were the Kremlin's
>>> economic advisor? I mean this question seriously.
>
>1. "Grow" the hemp industry in all its facets.
>
>2. Use the vast scientific-technological base leftover from Soviet
>times to research and develop non-carbon based energy sources.

Why would a country with huge oil reserves want to do this?

As world oil supplies meet ever increasing world demand, both the price and the environmental consequences of continued carbon based fuel burning will create a need for clean, non-nuclear alternatives. All of which doesn't mean that existing petroleum cannot or would not be useful to market for purposes other than mere burning. Marketing these technologies, while creating an efficient transportation infrastructure, (and the "how-to" knowledge which could in turn be sold on the world market) would provide Russia with the much needed, developmental cutting edge in the years to come.

Best, Mike B)

****************************************************************** Patriotism is a state religion used by elites as a form of control, and embraced by the powerless as a substitute for politics. Dennis Perrin

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs