[lbo-talk] Descended into chaos...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 25 12:22:12 PDT 2005

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

>Yes, control not increased flow. And if the goal--or one goal--was to peg
>oil prices at a new high (to tax China, to help out oil co. buddies) then the
>chaos policy has been fabulously successful.

Hmm, before the war, Rupert Murdoch said the point was to get oil down to $20. Now that it's close to $60, has the goal been redefined?

How is this control going to be exercised? Will Washington tell oil companies not to sell to China? Will the spot and futures markets all run through Dick Cheney's office?

A while back I met a guy from Lawrence Berkeley Lab who knows a lot about Chinese energy policy. He says they're obsessed with conservation and efficiency. And it shows. According to World Bank stats, they're more energy-efficient than the U.S. (As are most other countries.) So it's not clear who's getting more heavily taxed, if the point is to raise oil prices.

Invasion planners had said the war on Iraq would be self-financing, because of oil sales. Was that a ruse? Or have plans changed?

Doug