[lbo-talk] more on The Split

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Jul 26 13:24:13 PDT 2005

-I just spoke with a friend who was at a labor media conference last -week. Media people from some big unions were there. Not a one of them -had ever heard of RSS. As my friend said, they probably cared about -the working class back in 1972, but by 1976, they'd given up and just -decided to collect their not inconsiderable salary.

This is one room and one group of media folks, so it's not that telling if these were the media folks dedicated to traditional press release work, rather than technology.

I'm not going to argue that unions are as on top of Internet media as they could be, but one of my best friends is in the communications department of one of the largest unions and he could run computer circles around anyone I know. And many of the hotshots from the Dean campaign have been hired by a range of unions for online media projects.

If you want to know what unions are actually doing with the Internet, and some of their problems, the journal WorkingUSA dedicated a whole issue to the topic last month, and the content is all online: http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/toc/wusa/8/4/

I have an article there along with a range of other writers and researchers.

Nathan