[lbo-talk] Americans Remain More Optimistic and Satisfied with Lifethan Europeans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 27 06:53:44 PDT 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

>>From: mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com>
>>
>>With a few exceptions, Americans are generally happier
>>with their lives and more optimistic about their
>>future than are Europeans, according to a new Harris
>>Poll.
>
>Ah, the woe of being among the loser "few exceptions" in a land of
>beaming optimists!

To quote myself, from the afterword to the paperback of After the New Economy: "Americans always profess to be happy people, but with self-help books dominating display space in our chain bookstores, and American doctors writing almost 400,000 prescriptions for antidepressants every day, can we always belive what they say?"

Doug