[lbo-talk] Republicans see opportunity in split

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 28 06:09:25 PDT 2005

Michael Pollak (commenting on ACT's recent strategies):

> That sounds like a huge improvement -- parachuted in out-
> of-staters seemed to be at a big disadvantage compared to
> Republican locals

Please remember that the twin notions of (1) a surge in the evangelical yahoo vote and (2) a well-run Republican turnout machine based on personal contact are largely mythical. The election was lost for the background reason that was so overwhelming and so ever-present that it was "hidden in plain sight," so to speak. I'm referring, of course, to the post-September 11 terrorism hysteria and jingoism (based, I need hardly add, on racism as always). Rosenthal did some post-election polling in Ohio and his analysis -- which makes perfect sense to me -- is here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34157-2004Dec3.html