[lbo-talk] Today's straw bosses

Autoplectic autoplectic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:29:20 PDT 2005

On 7/28/05, Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/28/05, Miles Jackson wrote:
> > Not too sound too much like Woj, but man, that's a fucking pathetic
> > commentary on U. S. culture: "dumb" means that you don't follow
> > arbitrary social rules about how to act around a potential boss.
> > Apparently intelligence is--obedience to authority?
>
> if one's goal is to get a job, isn't it irrational, i.e.,
> self-defeating, to undermine your own efforts by not obeying the
> authority figure who might hire you?

Then again, she could have been a grad. student doing fieldwork on HR processes and the authoritarian organizational structures that are actually existing corporations and decided to engage in an interesting game of assumption breaking; so who knows?

-- "Rest and relaxation rocket to my brain" [Talking Heads]