[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Thu Jul 28 12:04:45 PDT 2005

Matt: "I take it to mean you believe that yes, a burning bush might suddenly offer up some wisdom|.|"

Repeat: I do not believe in an interventionist god, therefore, why would god bother with this scenario?

--------------------------- Matt: "I am a physicist by training, and |.| I still see the world as completely natural. "

By "world" you mean that which is visible to us now. but before this universe formed what would you refer to as natural?

--------------------------- Matt: "Other post-atheists I've spoken to describe their new god(s) as also being bound by the laws pf physics (IOW, alien intelligences)."

Alien intelligence would consist of some entity being within _this_ universe. Therefore alien belief can be held to scrutiny, and as a skeptic I have not seen any proof of its existence. That being said, there may be some organic substance on some distant galaxy, but anything that consist of flying saucers or whatnot deserves scrutiny - and frankly I don't believe they exit.

--------------------------------- Matt: "The theists that are dangerous to others are the ones who hold their god(s) as supernatural, meaning they are busy meddling in the Universe but in ways that defy the laws of physics (i.e., in ways that aren't testable and measurable, by definition)."

How are theist "meddling in the Universe"? That's a serious question. I can see them meddling with this planet - but not is a negative way. Aside form the creationist and politicians pretending to be spiritual (instead of admitting their secular, which they most likely are), most spiritual people are doing humanitarian actions.