[lbo-talk] It's pronounced "nuclear"...

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 08:53:21 PDT 2005

On Friday, July 29, 2005 8:23 AM [PDT], Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Closing the "care gap" in families with young and school-aged
>> children
> typically means relying on a network of friends, paid caregivers and
> extended kin. This reality clashes with the ideology of family
> independence, a defining American value. <
>
> it's absolutely true that such networks are crucial. But methinks that
> this ideology of family independence isn't really a defining American
> value. I don't know of anyone who denies the role of grandparents,
> etc., in taking care of kids.
>
> In fact, the Bushwhackers _want_ such networks. Instead of the "nanny
> state" helping people (besides the Bushwhackers and their friends),
> they should help each other. And bring in the church (or synagogue or
> mosque) while you're at it.
> JD

My understanding of nuclear family includes the "historic" family.

...a family unit consisting of a married couple and their offspring. A grandparent or a spouse of one of the children may be included. www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/anthropology/manarchnet/appendices/glossary.html

U Manitoba includes in-laws of offspring as well.

Leigh www.leighm.net