[lbo-talk] Man-on-dog

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 13:31:51 PDT 2005

> I ranted about this to a friend but he advised me to calm down. "Jon's an
> entertainer who happens to have a few ideas you agree with and a style
> that makes
> pompous fucks look like what they are. That's it. He's not Chomsky, or
> even
> you...he doesn't have a coherent analysis so he's sway-able by what appear
> to be
> reasonable arguments because there's no background to see below the
> surface.
> We're just so hungry for media savvy front men and women we'll adopt
> people
> who're really only quasi-there."

> .d.

I met Stewart years ago at M. O'Donoghue's paint-by-numbers art exhibit in Soho. Nice guy, but didn't strike me as a political analyst. In fact, most lib comics I've met rarely probed beneath the mainstream surface, on stage or off. They may mock the status quo, but they rarely trash it altogether, or view it with the utter contempt it richly deserves. Sorta like today's lib bloggers who rant about Rove's "treason" in the Plame affair. They simply want the system to work for them.

Dennis