[lbo-talk] Bloom gets all excited about Whitman

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 30 10:26:53 PDT 2005

>From: "Dennis Redmond" <dredmond at efn.org>
>
> > Wall Street Journal - July 29, 2005
> >
> > Whitman's America
> > By HAROLD BLOOM
> >
> > He is the greatest artist his nation has brought
> > forth. Indeed, no comparable figure in the arts has emerged in the
> > last 400 years in the Americas: North, Central, South, or the
> > Caribbean.
>
>Damn, what a load of imperialist crap, and a dishonor to Whitman, who was
>of course a great poet ...

Not to worry. I live in Whitman's birthplace, Huntington, Long Island, and we know how to do right by the man. Directly across from the carefully preserved Whitman residence is the glorious Walt Whitman Mall, offering "nearly 100 of the nation's finest retailers" -- which, during a recent upgrade, was equipped with walls bearing random quotes from Leaves of Grass.

There is, of course, little grass in the vicinity since the mall is surrounded by a gazillion-acre asphalt parking lot and is right near the intersection of Jericho Turnpike and Route 110, two of the ugliest overdeveloped piece-of-shit commercial strips on L.I.

I sing the appliance electric!

Carl