[lbo-talk] Israel, South Africa revive defense ties after 15-yearhiatus

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:00:54 PDT 2005

While I appreciate the reality check offered below by Brian, Joanna's comments are appropriate, events of the last decade notwithstanding. It would indeed, appear as though apartheid did not end 10 years ago. There are many parts of South Africa, especially the large areas controlled by white farmers, and the gated communities sprouting up around the major cities, where the white establishment operates much as it has for decades. At any rate, apartheid itself was a sub-species of capitalism, if you will, and had, by the late eighties, become quaint and obsolete - as acknowledged by PW Botha in his 1985 'Crossing the Rubicon' speech. A plan was devised by the Randlords to make South Africa more compatible with the then emerging and now dominant neo-liberal orthodoxies. It was becoming clear that the corporate establishment worldwide (the tail) was wagging the state (the dog) and real political power lay not with the state but with the corporations. So the apartheid (capitalist) establishment (in SA) got to look magnanimous as they 'conceded' state power to the black majority, allowed 'democracy' and 'majority rule' to flourish, when in fact they were simply updating South Africa for the 21st century.

The past (as witnessed inall other post-colonial African countries) is prologue.

Joe W.