[lbo-talk] Israel, South Africa revive defense ties after 15-yearhiatus

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Jun 1 08:31:47 PDT 2005

>From: Bryan <bryan at indymedia.org.il>
>Maybe I am missing something? I thought that apartheid ended over ten years
>ago in South Africa?

Yes, but it has been replaced by class apartheid ( http://www.monthlyreview.org/0304bond.htm ).

And that makes for ready links to a new trading partner.

Media Release: PSC calls for resignation of ANC politicians 'with conscience' Issued by the Palestine Solidarity Committee Date: 1 June 2005

The Palestine Solidarity Committee is shocked to hear reports that the South African government is resuming security cooperation with Israel. Israel's Haaretz newspaper has reported that a 'senior delegation' from South Africa's Ministry of Defence is due in Israel. The delegation will include representatives of South Africa's armaments manufacturers and will be hosted by Israel's Defence Ministry Director General, Amos Yaron. The newspaper quotes Israeli sources as saying that cooperation on military matters between the two states is on the cards.

At a time when our country is focussed on corruption and arms deals, it is ironic that we choose to deal in armaments with a morally corrupt government. It seems that our politicians, in their obscene haste to enrich a few, have lost their principles and moral bearing, squandering the legacy of those who gave their lives for a South Africa that values justice and solidarity here and around the world. We view the actions of our government as being akin to spitting on the graves of our martyrs and to be totally disrespectful of the wishes of those who were oppressed under apartheid. It is also a slap in the face for Palestinians who considered our government to be supportive of their just demands and who look to the South African struggle with admiration and as a moral victory for all oppressed people around the world.

It is unconscionable that the ANC government, which has pledged its support for a just resolution of the Palestinian struggle for human rights and sovereignty and which is very vocal in international fora on the need for adherence to international law, can recommence military links with Israel. South Africa, under apartheid, had strong military and nuclear cooperation with Israel. Our democratic government claimed that it ceased all military ties and supply of weapons components to Israel by the late1990s. There can be no reason to resume those links now. This decision also contradicts the statements of ANC leaders like Minister Ronnie Kasrils who, just a few days ago, endorsed an academic boycott of Israel and has previously called for sanctions against Israel. Must we now believe that our government says one thing but acts differently. Can we trust our government in other matters?

Has the South African government forgotten that Israel is in violation of about 80 United Nations resolutions? Surely our government could not forget that Israel dismissively rejected the ruling of the International Court of Justice that Israel should dismantle its apartheid wall? After all, South Africa made one of the strongest submissions to that court, arguing the illegality of the wall. Has South Africa forgotten that Israel continues to violate the Geneva Conventions and international law generally by building illegal settlements in the West Bank and Jerusalem, in continuing to use torture against Palestinians, in maintaining a policy of assassinations against Palestinian leaders, in maintaining the military occupation of the West Bank and Gaza, in maintaining its illegal annexation of Jerusalem, in continuing to use collective punishment against Palestinians? Surely, 11 years after our own emergence from apartheid, we could not have forgotten the meaning of oppression and injustice!

Spokespersons of the ANC and our government have, on numerous occasions, voiced their opposition to Israeli policies and expressed their support for the just struggle of the Palestinian people. We call on these ANC members to now act in terms of their consciences and resign their positions in the South African government and in parliament.

For more information, conact: Salim - 082 802 5936 Na'eem - 084 574 2674