[lbo-talk] UE's gadget

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Wed Jun 1 13:32:05 PDT 2005

Ironically, this simple site is a far less misleading (and more humanly compelling) way to make international comparisons than the ruling alternative - the PPP system (Purchasing Power Parity) developed by the World Bank, et al on which tens of millions of dollars have been lavished.

As a teaching tool, a thoughtful social scientist who uses both systems a bit will see the point (especially when making comparisons over time and through periods of quick change) and see it far quicker than spending hours studying value theories and general equilibrium models. Aside from greater accuracy, one system starts with actual labour and material conditions (and leads one to think of inequalities); the other system assumes free markets in perfect competition making all commodities and labour proportional (so one thinks of inherent differences of productivity or 'that is life').

Paul