[lbo-talk] UE's gadget

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 1 07:46:23 PDT 2005

[via Eric Lee's Labourstart]

AN OUTSTANDING EXAMPLE OF HOW TO USE THE NET

Every once in a while you see a trade union do something really original and innovative on the Internet. I saw one of these this morning.

If you go to http://www.ueinternational.org/shop/ you'll see what I mean.

A union in the United States wants to show its members and the general public what globalization really means.

Instead of just writing an article about it, or showing graphs and charts, they've created a terrific interactive online tool that shows the differences in buying power between two people working the same jobs in the US and in Mexico.

We learned, for example, that if you're a nurse in the US, you'd have to work 25 hours to pay rent for your home, but in Mexico -- 159 hours.

One of the nicest features is that the site gives a human face to these issues as well.

Congratulations on an extraordinary effort by the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America. Now -- has your union done anything as good?