[lbo-talk] Re: theism, atheism and dont give a fuckism

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 15:25:58 PDT 2005

You are right, we must have a misunderstanding. In an endlessly boring and ahistotrical thread you and others went on singing the praises of an awful regime.

I know I may be alone on the issue of Trotsky on this list - he was just another intellectual thug the world would been have been better off not knowing of.

Chris, I think you misplace how Russians think about the Soviet Union and Stalin to please your own political interests. I think many on this list do the same.

Recent things I have written concern how nation states confront political challenges - I have never defended communist ideology or practices. Having seen it in practice has made me very skeptical of any project that promotes any such ideas.

Again the issue of context is lost. The Soviet Union and Stalin is thought about in Russia because of the important need to define national identity and a sense of being to assess the present. The Soviet Union and Stalin are not thought of in terms of politics or any particular ideology among the vast majority of Russians. You should know well that most Russians are more worried about inflation and other more mundane problems.

best to you, Peter