[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignorance

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 06:23:42 PDT 2005

On 6/1/05, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> What's an improbable claim? That all depends on the prevailing level
> of credulity among the given populace. After all, some people buy
> almost anything -- from penis-enhancing pills, alien abduction
> stories, Elvis sightings, 9/11 conspiracy theories, to God. :->

oh, come on, yoshie. that's a cop-out in the context of this conversation.

<snip>
> It worked because too many Americans were too credulous
> to say, "Hey, that's a very improbable claim -- the burden is on
> _you_ to prove that they still exist in Iraq."

this actually contradicts your point above that im/probability is relative to credulity, since here you are saying that credulity is relative to probability: people can be considered credulous when they don't recognize something as "very improbable". this presumes we can say what is im/probable independent of credulity.

just for the record. :)

-- http:///www.brainmortgage.com/ Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead