[lbo-talk] Canada-US health care (was Vive La France!)

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 3 05:57:21 PDT 2005

Jordan Hayes:

> Let me say that again: 14M _eligible but not signed up_ for
> government assistance!

I'm not sure how Kaiser came up with this figure, but it can be misleading if it includes some of the state programs. Adult Basic in Pennsylvania, for example (funded by tobacco settlement money), is cheap but still costs something -- and that can mean a lot to a family. In many cases they get their kids covered under CHIP, but don't worry about themselves. And there are only so many Adult Basic slots; this could mean that lots of people are "eligible" to apply, but not necessarily to receive coverage. But once again, I'm not sure what the Kaiser methodology is in coming up with this 14 million figure.