[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 18, Issue 17

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Fri Jun 3 08:40:48 PDT 2005

>There are no "accidents" in the process of evolution. <

what about mutations (e.g., due to cosmic rays) or genetic drift? what about the meteor that seems to have wiped out the dinosaurs?

Okay, in the topics of "mutations" the word accident might be suitable, but if it is a natural biological process it must be more natural than accidental.

I don't consider meteor crashes to be accidental, since it too is a natural - in this case, cosmological - process. To say it was an accident is to say it might have been design - read: created - to happen. Since I live in Alabama, I know that argument can be used as a linking point for people who believe in the Intelligent Design.