[lbo-talk] Re: Protest in Ireland against Israel/Ireland football match

Bryan bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sun Jun 5 09:17:16 PDT 2005

Sadly, the only thing I saw about the protest was on israel.indymedia.org.

I didn't, however, watch the national news last night...but I don't see anything in any of the papers about it today either. Probably they chose to ignore it. Well, there IS a lot about the stupid football match, but nothing about the pre-game protest. And, anyway, I try to avoid any article about football.

Though, last night, when I was walking our dog, I suddenly heard screaming and cheering coming out of several houses at the same time. I can only presume they were watching the match.

That "WE scored a goal!" always gives me the creeps. Who the hell is "WE"?

Especially in Israel, most of the basketball players (for instance) are American NBA wannabees or dropouts, the vast majority not Israelis (though I would guess this to be the case in Europe also)...the only time I found football interesting is when the Palestinian-Israeli team of Bene Sahknin won the Israel Cup title and the "WE" became the "THEM." That was fun...

But I have to say, football (soccer) is an extremely boring sport right up there with baseball...I don't want a game where you sit for three hours and 1 to 1 is an exciting game...and don't want any of you give me any bull about needing to understand its subtleties...I don't want subtleties in sport...give me the GB Packers and I will watch...even though they maybe are a bunch of religious freaks or violent and misogynistic creeps off the field...and all the rest of the team sports can rot for all I care. Especially national games...just gets everyones nationalistic juices flowing...last thing anyone needs.

Anyhow...how many people showed up for the protest, how was it covered in the media in Ireland?

Bryan