[lbo-talk] Hitch at work

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 09:40:12 PDT 2005

Justin Raimondo runs into Rep. Nancy Pelosi. As one who saw her helping feed the homeless at SF's St. Anthony's, I can confirm that she is always dressed up to the nine's. http://antiwar.com/justin/

>...I saw Nancy the other day walking down San Francisco's Fillmore Street: she was dressed to the nines for this sojourn among the commoners. Although that stretch of street is filled to the rafters with an uncommonly upscale brand of San Franciscans, she stood out: her cape of crushed black velvet billowing in the breeze and her gold necklace glittering in the noonday sun as she acknowledged the gasping admiration of her subjects with a queenly nod.

I sidled up to her on the corner of Fillmore and Sacramento, and introduced myself as her onetime rival – yes, I was her Republican opponent in the congressional election of 1996. She jumped back as if I were some suicide bomber and she a U.S. convoy on the road to Baghdad.

"Are you going to light that… thing?" she demanded, referring to the unlit cigarette dangling from my lips.

"Well, uh, yes – it is still legal, you know."

Either some congenital defect or badly fitted contact lenses make her eyes seem to pop out at you with unblinking intensity, and so perhaps it only seemed as if Madame Minority Leader surveyed me with all the considerable disdain at her command. Not wanting to leave such a loutish impression, I dug deep in my bag of possible compliments – politicians love flattery, and even such a formidable lady as this one could manage a smile provoked by praise – and came up with:

"I just wanted to tell you how glad I am that you're giving the president such a hard time about this war," I opined, even managing to avoid inserting the word finally where it doubtless belongs.

I thought I heard her face crack as the shadow of a smile flitted over her oddly immobilized features, although it may have been a car backfiring in the distance. And while it may be unchivalrous – and, yes, a trifle loutish – to take back what has been given, I'm afraid I must withdraw that compliment, and not merely on account of her inexplicable opposition to the Woolsey resolution.

-- Michael Pugliese