[lbo-talk] Digestimundo vavavoom

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jun 5 17:15:45 PDT 2005

At 07:57 PM 6/5/2005, Autoplectic wrote:
>On 6/5/05, snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Gouldner's comments are about social scientists who exempt themselves from
> > structural analysis. Everyone else's actions can be analyzed according to
> > such an analysis, but the social scientist doesn't subject his own work or
> > life to the same sort of analysis.

>And when AG pointed/wrote towards/with reflexivity, he was accused of
>inciting navel-gazing etc.

when I was studying soc of knowledge with Gunter, I was sitting on the floor in the stacks reading through a bunch of books. ON the very bottom shelf, I found a thin paperback all beat up. It was written by a student from our soc dept, about 10 years prior, a scathing sociology of sociology, some of which was an analysis of the department. heh. heh. never heard of the guy. don't think he ever got a job anywhere!

i'm not sure who you're talking about re: navel gazing. my comment was just a joke. mostly because i suspected that Carl wouldn't be all that pleased with what takes place in _those_ classes. Like the joke about pomo anthropologists. Pomo anthropoligist sets off to study an isolated tribe in the depths of Brazil. Many thousands of miles from home, finally aculturated to the climate, the pomo anthropologist observes the daily activities of the tribe. When he's ready to ask questions, he starts with his guide -- who is very eager, actually, to talk with the pomo anthropolgist. Guide starts in, taking a load of his mind. The pomo anthro listens impatiently and finally interrupts the Guide,

"look. Enough about you and all that. Let's talk about me." *grin*

kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin