[lbo-talk] evolution & the female orgasm: men cleared

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 8 09:32:34 PDT 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Only 14% of the women reported always experiencing orgasm during intercourse.
> Another 32% of the women reported that they were unable to achieve orgasm
> more than a quarter of the time, while 16% never achieved it at all.
> Comparing the results from identical and non-identical twins suggests that
> 34% of this variation in ability to orgasm during intercourse is genetic.
>
> Unsurprisingly, more women were able to achieve orgasm through masturbation,
> with 34% saying they could always do so. However, the figure for those who
> could never achieve it was only slightly lower, at 14%. The analysis suggests
> that 45% of this variation is genetic.

Again, I gotta ask: if female organism is a straightforward adaptation, shouldn't we see a higher prevalence of "orgasm during intercourse" women? According to CB's adaptionist story about female orgasm is a means of encouraging sexual activity and thus procreation, shouldn't all the women who were genetically predisposed not to have orgasm during sex have been culled out of the human species long ago?

This looks more and more like an excellent example of G's spandrels to me.

Miles