[lbo-talk] Time for Tough Love

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 8 10:42:24 PDT 2005

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com, Wed Jun 8 10:05:26 PDT 2005
>No doubt this is good advice about sexual behavior, as Savage's
>advice so often is, and it is sort of amusing to read, but what's
>the political relevance? What's the political equivalent of telling
>whatever audience of ordinary Americans the likes of us might have,
>Don't do that, you moron, that's irresponsible?
>
>One important difference is that in the situation that Savage
>describes, the guy who's not going to play stupid isn't going to see
>the others again, but we hope to build a "lasting relationship" with
>ordinary Amricans (or residents of whatever country we may be in).
>So maybe telling people off isn't a good . The point is to be
>effective. not to be in a position to say I Told You So years later,
>right? jks

The situation in warmaking that is most comparable to the barebacking example that Dan Savage discussed would be that you are told by a person -- be the person a total stranger, a friend, an acquaintance, or a family member -- that he or she wants to sign up for the US military. Now, it's really time for Savage Tough Love: "You, moron, don't you dare do that!" You should say that louder if you have a lasting relationship with the person and hope to have it for longer.

In even situations more complicated than that, though, US leftists might try Savage Tough Love for a change, as they've tried Kid Gloves for too long -- and none too successfully. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>