[lbo-talk] Rationality of the Masses

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 14:40:28 PDT 2005

On 6/8/05, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>
> > now, if we don't want to change people's minds, that's another story.
> > but isn't that what we want?
> >
> > and if we don't want to do it *in a religious mode* (i.e., by
> > "converting" people from religion to . . . what? atheism? communism?
> > what?), then it cannot be some bizarre, manipulative appeal to
> > unconscious needs, but by trying to open up the genuine thinking that
> > helps people see flaws in their own logic.
>
> The idea of 'god' needs to be redefined in terms that can be accepted
> by EVERYone. The definition needs to be one that is familiar and
> comfortable as well as known and accepted. Defining 'god' as the
> unknown

do you mean "defining god as the unknowable", rather than "the unknown"? if that's the case, then i might be able to live with that, but let's acknowledge that the definition is one of the very points of contestation. you can't sidestep anything with it, i don't think. but that's not an objection to the definition or to adopting it.

> is both familiar, and comfortable.

actually, you don't think that's rather scary?

> Unless you're a know it
> all.

or unless you have scripture purporting to be from said "god". then you're giving up a lot to give up that scripture.

> And the definition of 'god' suddenly becomes more personal,
> since we each have borders to our knowledge.

i admit i don't follow the logic, here. for many people, god functions to overcome those limits. you're taking that away. that won't come easily, i don't think.

> And science, the study
> of the unknown, takes on new significance.

and here's the real rub, because it's clear you DO mean "the unknown" rather than "the unknowable", and this confusion of religion and science is precisely what won't work.

imo.

-- http://www.brainmortgage.com/

Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead