[lbo-talk] Rationality of the Masses

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Jun 8 15:56:22 PDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> i admit i don't follow the logic, here. for many people, god functions
> to overcome those limits. you're taking that away. that won't come
> easily, i don't think.

I don't see why that should be true. People recognize the point beyond which the 'do not know'. They know where the border is beyond which is the unknown. Everybody has it. If that border is the edge of 'god', it seems that you've given people a much clearer definition than any 'scripture' I've ever gagged over.

> and here's the real rub, because it's clear you DO mean "the unknown"
> rather than "the unknowable", and this confusion of religion and
> science is precisely what won't work.

But this is precisely what MUST work in order for logic to enter the sphere of religion. Unknown and unknowable are the terms that we've been given to work with. What does it mean when people say god is a greater power - does it mean that beyond the borders of our knowledge lies another power of spherical energy much like the universe exists in relation to the atom? It's unknown. Science is much like a priesthood anyway, eh?

Martin