[lbo-talk] lbo-talk] "Damn, did God piss in your cheerios?"

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 06:31:49 PDT 2005

On 6/8/05, N P Childs <npchilds at shaw.ca> wrote:
> First:
> >you might do yourself a favor by relating to religious people (the
> >vast majority of the people on this planet) in a
> >language they understand rather than being hostile
> >towards their viewpoints. This does not mean you must
> >believe Jesus is going to return from the dead and so
> >on, it just means that there is already a set of
> >morals and understandings which, for the most part,
> >are compatible with views we might hold (if not
> >necessarily going as far), for example "do unto
> >others...", and might facilitate communication."
> >

> and then;
>

> >What a stupid religious nut. Turning to a collection of documents that is
> >almost 2000 years old for contemporary questions is simply insane.
> >
> >People need the security blanket of religion ripped away from them so they
> >can start functioning as mature adults.
> >

> Wow, talk about two ships roaring by each other in the night.

exactly what i've been trying to say, but you did so much more succinctly. thanks.

> Contrary to what you might think, people are capable of acting as mature
> adults and being religious at the same time.

amazing, isn't it? but acknoweldging any of this might mean changing our pat little worldviews or even how we deal with actual people. god forfend . . . i mean, metaphorically speaking.

> P.S. I always like 'Who peed in your Wheaties?'. More alliterative or something

ps - the word you're looking for is assonant. and you're right. much better.

-- Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead