[lbo-talk] Pacifica records update

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 11 19:56:26 PDT 2005

To the Chair of the Pacifica National Board:

We, the undersigned members of the KPFA LSB have learned that on June 8, 2005, PNB Director Lavarn Williams and Richard Phelps the designated agent of PNB Director Patty Heffley, were denied access to foundation records by Dan Coughlin. Therefore, the undersigned members of the KPFA LSB would like to reiterate our support of Article 12, Section 3 of our bylaws and California Corporations Code Section 6334 (cited in full below) which give Directors the “absolute right” to inspect all Foundation records at any “reasonable time”. We, the undersigned members of the KPFA LSB ask the PNB to enforce its vote, 12-3-2 on 4-25-05, to order its staff to allow such inspections. After that vote Directors have been denied access to inspect on two occasions and the denied inspection requests are pending for new dates. This is necessary to avoid the costs to the Foundation should the Directors be forced to go to court to obtain the rights they are being wrongfully denied by foundation staff.

We, the undersigned, also hereby request clarification as to the official status of Dan Coughlin since he is supposed have completed his tenure at Pacifica on June 1, 2005.

Article 12, Section 3, Pacifica Foundation Bylaws: SECTION 3. DIRECTORS: INSPECTION RIGHTS Every Director, or his or her designated agent, shall have the absolute right at any reasonable time to inspect and copy all of the Foundation's books, records and documents of every kind and to inspect the physical properties of the Foundation.

California Corporations Code Section 6334: Rights of Inspection Current through Stats 2005, ch. 10 § 6334. Every director shall have the absolute right at any reasonable time to inspect and copy all books, records and documents of every kind and to inspect the physical properties of the corporation of which such person is a director.

Signed:

Richard Phelps, KPFA Listener Rep. Lavarn Williams, KPFA Listener Rep. Joe Wanzala, KPFA Listener Rep. Max Blanchet, KPFA Listener Rep. Sepideh Khosrowjah, KPFA Listener Rep. Ted Freidman, KPFA Listener Rep. Chandra Hauptmann, KPFA Listener Rep. Howard Beeman, KPFA Listener Rep. Attila Nagy, KPFA Listener Rep. Riva Enteen, KPFA Listener Rep.

p.s. A version of this letter in the form of a resolotion will be brought before the KPFA LSB for a roll call vote. Most of the other KPFA listener and staff reps have either not taken a position on this or are making noises in support of Don Coughleone's position citing 'personell confidentiality' among other prevaricative red herrings.

Joe W.