[lbo-talk] Appeal to Ignoranc

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:43:38 PDT 2005

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> i would only add that maybe wasting time now and again isn't such a
> bad thing, indeed, it can be good. or have marxists all dispensed with
> the idea of leisure and self-fulfillment. i don't know that the old
> guy would have liked that so much, but i can't quote chapter and verse
> and am ill-prepared at the moment to go to war on it. but, you know,
> you go to verbal war with the textual memory you have, not the one you
> wish you had.

No disagreement with this. Engels in _Anti-Duhring_ (in a passage that I've never been able to relocate) has occasion to give a casual list of what is necessary for human happiness, and he includes "books to argue about"! That is, argument for the sake of argument is an essential part of human happiness.

Carrol