[lbo-talk] RE: An Appeal to Ignorance

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 05:43:36 PDT 2005

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Joanna:
>
> I'm talking about seeing a tree or a blade of
> grass...I'm talking about
> very ordinary seeing and the mystery of our very
> ordinary world
>
> ===================
> Einstein was on his deathbed, hovering near the edge
> for weeks the way
> some people do when the end's close. At one point
> his sister, overcome
> with grief at her impending loss, began to cry
> bitterly. "Don't cry,"
> Einstein whispered to her. "Look deeply into nature
> and then you'll
> understand."

And this is an almost cliched motivation among scientists, at least the ones who are happy in what they do. Including me.

Is this what you meant by religious tendencies in science? I could see that. I had some trouble getting past the "physicists are arrogant" remark a while back. That's a cliche too, but a tiresome one.

And the whole notion of trauma turning people away from religion: Please just stop with that. Just stop.

Not even the ex-Catholics among us have all been smacked by nuns. I was happily hanging out with the parish youth group long after I decided the whole guy-in-the-sky and all its variations made no sense to me.

Once a woman (semi-practising Jewish) suggested that my atheism was a form of rebellion against a father figure. Unfortunately it was only later that it occured to me that she was confusing me with a Satanist.

Sometimes a cigar is just....

Andy

__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html