[lbo-talk] Repugs. go after the Red Cross

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 07:05:09 PDT 2005

This, plus the PBS cuts, are really odious. In the late 90s I did volunteer work with the Red Cross in N. Cali [actually, some radicals I knew then thought that was a bad idea, something about it being reformist and in bed with the state and all that jazz]. It was work of an unexciting and clerical nature, computer work that came with area businesses contracting with the org. to provide CPR training classes, mostly. One of the perks, though, was getting free CPR and First Aid training yourself; these were thorough, day-long classes taught by EMTs or hospital personnel.

Who would have known that I was in with a "liberal" organization!

-B.

Autopletic wrote:

<http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-redcross15jun15,0,899443.story>

> GOP Committee Targets International Red Cross
> Senators ask Bush to reconsider financial support
for the agency after
> its criticism of how U.S. forces treat their
detainees abroad.

> By Sonni Efron
> Times Staff Writer
> June 15, 2005
>
> WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans are calling on the
Bush administration
> to reassess U.S. financial support for the
International Committee of
> the Red Cross, charging that the group is using
American funds to