[lbo-talk] Re: China [was: Blowing Up an Assumption]

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 09:25:58 PDT 2005

--- uvj at vsnl.com wrote: What do you think of Anatol Lieven's "Why the West should be angry with Khodorkovsky"?

---

It's great in just about every respect, as usual. Thank God for Lieven.

I think he omits one reason for Western journalism's general position on this issue: ignorance. I worked in the Russia press corps. 75% of these people are sent to Russia knowing nothing at all about the country other than what they've read in Western media reports, and so what they end up writing is Western media reports citing other Western media reports.

I think it is no coincidence that all the Western writers I can think of off the top off my head who were doing quality work on Russia in the 1990s are all anti-Khodorkovsky and pro-Putin: Anatol Lieven, Paul Khlebnikov, Ann Williamson, Steven Cohen. (Note that these people are all over the ideological spectrum.)