[lbo-talk] Re: China [was: Blowing Up an Assumption]

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 09:45:08 PDT 2005

Chris Doss: >I think he omits one reason for Western journalism's general position on this issue: ignorance. I worked in the Russia press corps. 75% of these people are sent to Russia knowing nothing at all about the country other than what they've read in Western media reports, and so what they end up writing is Western media reports citing other Western media reports.<

I think it was media critic and poli sci prof. Dan Hallin who writes that managers move journalists from country to country in order to prevent them from "going native." This keeps them in line with the dominant editorial stance of their bosses and of course with the dominant ideology. It also keeps them ignorant of the facts on the ground.

JD