[lbo-talk] Can Liberal Faiths / Heinlein.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 15 09:52:48 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> Also, Nancy Ammerman, studying fundamentalists in Connecticut during the
> early 80s, noted that the members of these churches were among the
> professional managerial strata.
>
> Here, membership in many of the "just christian" churches is important part
> of social status. In my son's high school, the wealthiest school in the
> county where the median income is 92k (compared to 30-40k in the middling
> areas), everyone who is anyone belongs to a church --and we're not talking
> liberal churches.

Back in February I wrote (under the subject line, The Rapture Index & "white trash"):

"Incidentally -- the sociology of the subject line must be all wrong. Probably more believers in the Rapture fit the stereotype "yuppie" than the stereotype "white trash"?????"

And in response to this Doug commented:

****But the working class can't hold bad views - only "yuppies" and higher can. But of course Carrol doesn't want us to examine motives for holding a position, so I shouldn't have said that.*****

This would seem to be an excellent example of the real stupidity of focusing on (alleged) intentions rather than on the world out there!

Practically every intelligent writer for 2500 years has attacked motive-mongering (ordinarily called "poisoning the wells of discourse"), but then Doug clearly has an insight into Truth that is superior to 2000 years of human thought.

Carrol