[lbo-talk] Can Liberal Faiths / Heinlein.

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jun 15 10:43:00 PDT 2005

At 12:52 PM 6/15/2005, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Back in February I wrote (under the subject line, The Rapture Index &
>"white trash"):
>
>"Incidentally -- the sociology of the subject line must be all wrong.
>Probably more believers in the Rapture fit the stereotype "yuppie" than
>the stereotype "white trash"?????"

Now, damn it! I remember that -- and I never understood it. You and Yosh have never struck me as the kind of folks who romanticize the working class. In fact, both of you are always on about not divisively claiming that there are anything other than working class and capitalists. So, you see, I thought he was really bitching at people like me and agreeing with Wojtek that I'm and others here are unabashed romanticizers of the working class -- or sumpin' like that. Are you sure that was directed at you specifically?

I've mentioned that there's some work being done on what life is like for professional managerial workers in today's market. The author tries to get a job in public relations as a middle-aged woman. No dice (for whatever reason, she never even gets one phone call for a job interview).

So, she goes to those transition agencies where other hard to employ people go to learn the new rules for the new economy, repackage themselves, learn the latest resume and cover letter techniques, get help strategizing for interviews, etc. etc.

I did some research on this myself back in the mid-90s. Anyway, she ends up attending, not just run-of-the-mill transition agencies, but Christian transition agencies. I've written about it before, because they've also sprung up around here. You don't have to be a Christian to attend, but an important reason why the churches offer these services is because it's a form of proselytizing. And I wouldn't be surprised how well it works. When you're at a really low place -- long-term unemployed with children to feed, put through college, etc. -- I'd be really grateful for supportive community, kindness, free help and secretarial services.....

Kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin