[lbo-talk] Fishy Business /Can-Do Il/Liberal Faiths: Heinlein.

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 11:01:32 PDT 2005

* It's amazing how many bad responses I've gotten from the Darwin fish on the back of my car. One person pulled up next to me at a stop light and said "so you believe we come from monkeys?" Someone ripped the Darwin fish off my wife's car and broke it in two. I guess that some people see the Darwin fish as an insult, a slap at Christianity, though it doesn't have to be that way at all: I've seen a car with both a Christ fish and a Darwin fish.

These days, I would guess that the dirty looks I get while driving on Pacific Coast Highway are due to my "Support Our Troops! Bring Them Home Now" bumper sticker. (Actually, it's a laminated sign taped in the back window that only looks like a sticker. Is it true that bumper stickers hurt the resale value of cars?)

* I used to read a lot of Heinlein. The books I read were pretty right-wing (cf. STAR SHIP TROOPERS). But he impressed me as someone who was willing to think -- and who wanted to lecture everyone about his thoughts. (A frustrated professor, like my dad?)

JD