[lbo-talk] Schiavo had half a regulation brain

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 15 21:25:29 PDT 2005

Actually, I do buy the lone gunman theory: 40 years of investigation haven't shown anything else to be the case.

And I don't think courts should order that someone be made dead (as Ralph Nader put it) because judges are not satisfied with her brain capacity.

Just as I don't think that they should order people be sterilized because (in the words of SC Justice O. W. Holmes), "Three generations of idiots are enough."

But I am a bit surprised at the willingness of some progressives to acquiesce in state-ordered killing. --CGE